Chatting with Kate Cutler
1. What's your favourite beauty trend at the moment? Do you have any predictions for upcoming trends?
My fave beauty trend at the moment is metallic nails, it reminds me of the 90s vibe and as it's summer they look so good in sunshine! I predict that nail bling and embellishment will be back but even more creative than before - we'll be sticking things other than crystals to our nails!
2. What is your biggest challenge you face regularly? How do you overcome it?
My biggest challenge in my job is travelling to jobs with all my kit - I have so much stuff that I have to leave things behind and you never know what you'll get asked for. I try to take a little bit of everything so I'm always prepared for the unexpected.
3. What's been the highlight of your career so far?
The highlight of my career so far was definitely doing Missy Elliott's nails for her headline Bestival performance. I've been a fan since I was a teenager!
4. Who are your favourite nail artists/beauty pro's at the moment?
5. Whats the best piece of advice you've been given?
I've had lots of tips and tricks shared with me by other nail artists that I've worked with throughout the years. Always using a clean up brush dipped in nail polish remover to tidy around the edges of nails, keeping a striper brush in a bottle of acetone to keep it clean, putting a layer of clear UV gel over embellishments to keep them secure, using lingerie tape to stick on false nails on shoots....I could go on and on!
6. Whats next for you? Do you have any unfulfilled ambitions?
I would love to be a creative ambassador for a nail brand and to come up with exclusive designs and trends for them and do tutorials and social media content too.
7. Have you ever taken a massive gamble? Did it pay off? If not, what did you learn from it?
I took a massive gamble recently when I decided to part ways with the agency who represented me. I think it's paid off as I now have more freedom and flexibility to choose my work and be in control. I've learnt that it's important to really think before changing the way you manage your work and ask yourself what you it is you actually want.
8. If you weren't a nail tech/beauty pro, what would you be doing?
I would have a hard time deciding what else to do as I have so many other interests but at the moment I think I'd probably be a garden or landscape designer as I love nature and growing things.
9. Whats the most common misconception/myths/old wives tale you come across?
People say they are letting their nails 'breathe' but nails can't breathe! They are dead, keratinised skin cells and the only way they can 'breathe' is through the blood supply.
Also when people say gel or acrylic ruins their nails - it doesn't. Bad application and removal does!
10 Tell us one surprising fact about your self
I sing and produce my own music in my spare time
If you'd like to find out how XETHA can help you, pop us an email email@example.com