Chatting With Maddy Ayers
Maddy is a freelance nail artist in London. she recently made the jump from corporate job to freelance creative and couldn't be happier. She is known for her extremely detailed nail art which is regularly featured in editorials and photo shoots.
1. What's your favourite beauty trend at the moment? Do you have any predictions for upcoming trends?
As far as nails, I love all the metallic products that have come out lately - glitters/foil/chrome etc. I love low key to no make up too (Alicia Keys vibe) as I can never be bothered to wear make up!
People are getting more and more concerned with how products are made, so I think vegan/cruelty free/chemical free beauty will keep growing fast
2. What is your biggest challenge you face regularly? How do you overcome it?
Scheduling conflicts often happen. I'll have private bookings and then an amazing editorial opportunity will come in. I try and fit everything in if I can but ultimately you have to turn down work sometimes, even if you really want to take it. My clients being able to rely on me is really important - I never wanna be flaky.
3. What's been the highlight of your career so far?
Any fashion week shows are always great. They can be really tiring, but being backstage is a buzz for sure.
4. Who are your favourite nail artists/beauty pro's at the moment?
5. Whats the best piece of advice you've been given?
Be confident in yourself and your abilities. And even if you don't feel it, then fake it!
6. Whats next for you? Do you have any unfulfilled ambitions?
I've got some exciting work coming up in Germany, and will carry on working through my agency Kuku as well as for private clients. I'd love to do work in the US - there's such a huge nail culture over there that would be amazing to be a part of.
7. Have you ever taken a massive gamble? Did it pay off? If not, what did you learn from it?
I changed careers completely to start off in the nail industry from scratch. It was tough to make contacts and get a good portfolio going, but it's been worth it!
8. If you weren't a nail tech/beauty pro, what would you be doing?
I'd probably be working in music still, or a tech start up. I like fast paced smallish businesses, defo not corporate
9. Whats the most common misconception/myths/old wives tale you come across?
That nail techs only ever want to do nails. I know so many who've done, and do, amazing stuff outside of nails (art/photography/fashion design/music/writing/degrees etc etc) and clients are often surprised by this.
10 Tell us one surprising fact about your self
I speak Spanish and French. Dunno if that counts at surprising?!
To see how XETHA could help you, pop us an email firstname.lastname@example.org